Skip to main content

AND Summer 2013 Begins

Homeschooling finally has come to an end for the 2012-2013 school year!  My children and I anxiously awaited the arrival of four extra summer children.  My mind got busy planning all sorts of activities and fun things to do as I prepared for them to come.

Memorial Day for me was a day of rest and remembrance.  I knew it'd be my only day of rest before the children came, so I took full advantage!  Actually, the plan was to clean the house spic and span, but I sat on my behind and goofed off all day with my own three children.  It's not very often we get an entire day to spend by ourselves doing whatever whenever we want.  During the week, I'm normally up by the crack of dawn preparing my husband's lunch, my day and activities for the children I keep.  BUT, not on Memorial Day morning.  I slowly dragged my bottom out of bed and actually sat down while drinking my first cup of coffee.  The kids slept as I enjoyed a few precious moments of silence, meditation and prayer.

Tuesday, today... they came!  First it was my precious little, blonde haired, blue eyed, five year old beauty, I'll call "E".  She's been staying with me since she was six weeks old.  For the first three years of her life she called me mama!  She has always arrived promptly at 7:30 am.  I walked onto the porch to greet her and walked her back into the house.  Minutes later it was "J".  An eight year old boy who is spending his second summer with me.  Normally "J" is accompanied by his older brother "D".  But, today "D" spent the day with his father playing a round of golf.  "J" confided in me that he had told a teacher at school, "I've got the best babysitter EVER!".  It obviously made me feel really special to know the children felt that way about me.

After eating our bisquits, drinking our milk and juice the kids lazily played about the living and dining area while waiting for the last two of our crew to arrive.  Later in the morning, around 9:30 am the other two, a brother "A1", (6) and sister "A2",   (5) arrived.  There we were... ready for the first round of outdoor play!
Our NEW found FROG Friend!

Out we went!  Not much activity today... sort a slow day to break our way into summer... we played a little baseball, found a frog and created a terrarium, played chase while some of the other children played with dolls and other outdoor toys.  After about two hours of play, we returned to the house so I could prepare a wonderful chicken pot pie.  While I cooked the kids watched a movie, played play dough, barbies, dress up, blocks, and anything else they could find to do indoors.

This is what we call... hanging on the FORT!

BATTER BATTER SAWWWING!

Better run mama!  I am locked and loaded!

GREAT shot "A1"  Woohoo!
After lunch we returned to the yard with water guns!  When we were all thoroughly soaked, we dried off with a game of basketball, and more fun playing dolls, on the fort and sandbox down in the play area.  Overall ... pretty good start to our 2013 Summer season!  Looking forward to even MORE fun tomorrow!  I can't wait!


New Buddies "A1" and "E"
Better run Miss Samantha... 
WOW!  Show him up GIRL!
Would you like to join us for tea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth