Skip to main content

Comfort Food - Venison Vegetable Soup

Best idea for comfort food... Venison Vegetable Soup

Today is one of those days I wish I could crawl into bed and hide.  My heart is aching from being hurt by a dear friend, it's cold and dreary outside, and I have been up since 4:30 this morning.  Hoping to find relaxation in cooking a hot pot of Venison Vegetable Soup, and that eating it will be good for my soul.

For starters, this has been a good hunting season for my husband and son.  They brought in 5 deer, one each weekend, since the first day of deer season.  I was elated!  Anticipating the meat, I decided on what cuts I needed and have been cooking with it ever since.  Ground venison is my favorite because it can be used in various dishes.

This Venison Vegetable Soup is so easy and inexpensive to make.  I normally buy the mixed soup vegetables frozen.  Because I was unprepared for grocery shopping today, and it was a last minute decision, I knew I wouldn't find frozen soup vegetables at the store I was shopping in so I picked up two 29 oz. cans of Veg-all.  This is a tomato-based soup, so I also purchased two 28 oz. cans of petite diced tomatoes.  I got Great-Value brand, but you can use any brand you like.  As a matter of fact, if you like your tomatoes in larger portions, you can get regular diced tomatoes, use some canned from your garden (much better) or use tomato sauce if you prefer.

To even out the can taste of the canned vegetables I bought a 32 oz. container of beef broth.  You don't have to use beef broth, I just like the way it tastes and how it evens out the flavor.  Make the soup to your taste.  If this is your first time making it go as simple as possible.

One last thing... If you need to increase the tomato flavor or base, you can buy a very small can of tomato paste.  If I don't have or forget to purchase tomato paste, substitute with a 1/2 cup of ketchup.  Ketchup works just as well as and can also help in thickening the soup.

This is what you will need:
2 lb. ground venison (or cubed steak cut in small pieces)
2 - 29 oz. cans of Veg-all or 1 large bag of frozen mixed soup vegetables
2 - 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes (any brand)
1 - 32 oz. container of beef broth or beef stock (optional - use all or 3/4 container)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 bay leaf (optional)

Cook thawed ground venison in a large soup pot until brown.  Drain liquid (if any).  Add vegetables, tomatoes, (paste or ketchup if desired), seasonings (salt, pepper, bay leaf), and beef broth.  Cook on medium heat until boiling stirring occasionally.  Cover with a lid and let simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.  If cooking in a slow cooker, cook on medium stirring occasionally until done.

 Bring to a boil then simmer
Can be served with grilled cheese sandwiches, cornbread, crackers... or anything that suits your taste. My daughter wanted a grilled cheese, so that's what we had with ours.  I personally prefer a freshly cooked pawn of cornbread.  Every so often I like to spice things up by dousing my soup with Frank's RedHot Sauce.  Hot sauce adds a lasting warming effect for those cold winter days.  :)  This soup is healthy and low in fat, so eat up.  Happy cooking!  I hope you enjoy your soup!


 Be blessed,
Love Sam 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

Keto Works

I started my journey into KETO about two and a half months ago.  So far I have lost over 20 lbs. of pure fat.  What's so good about that is, although fat weight loss is measurable when it comes to clothes and size.  Fat weighs less than muscle.  If I were gaining muscle while losing fat, the weight loss wouldn't be an as significant pound per pound... but the change in size would. What am I doing?  I'm using a product called Ketologie and I'm maintaining a very strict keto way of living.  I don't follow a plan, I just plan to eat meat, green veggies, and real foods.  No tricks or anything.  I also use supplements such as Ketologie (especially collagen) to help with maintaining healthy skin and hair while losing. As you can see, in my face... there is a significant change in my appearance.  I have taken before body shots.  However, I am not yet ready to post those.  When I do, my weight loss will be very apparent.