Skip to main content

MORE Christmas Savings

Seriously, I previously stated in an earlier blog that I hate Christmas trees.  Ok, I don't want to be labelled as a "hater".  I will just say, I accept Christmas trees for what they are; mess and all.  If you put up a Christmas tree, understandably it's your business and not mine.  AND, yes, for those of you who think I'm a 'hater', I do have a Christmas tree up.  My husband and kids went out into the woods, found the scraggedliest tree they could find and brought it home.  I TOLERATE the leaning tower of cedar, as long as it makes the hubby and kids happy.  Never mind the needles all over the floor... yes, the one's I am constantly finding stuck in my feet, and those pesky pieces that seem to find their way into my bra strap and underdrawers.  I'm having one of those; How DID THAT Happen moments as I type this blog post.  Sweep you say; oh... please, seriously?  Water?  Like you think I don't already do that.

I got to thinking... maybe I should have expressed my shoestring ideas a bit more creatively.  Some folk just don't like straight forward.  And... to others, I mighta seemed a bit preachy.  That wasn't my intent.  Look for content... not context.  Like my mama always told me, "You are facetious as hell.  But, I love that about you!  You always manage to make me laugh.".  That my interested readers, IS my intent!  My blog title reads; Big Seats and Flat Feet.  The title alone and the font style should indicate a fun blog; poking fun at life.  Believe you; me, I have tried my hand at seriousness, and for this ol gal... it jess don't come out quite like I intended it.  So, I say it like I think and feel it... it's coming straight from the jackass so to speak, and it's REAL.

Want to know how to save for Christmas?  Coupons, sales papers, yard sales, and thrift stores.  I know, I know... most people these days probably cringe at the idea of using inexpensive and pre-owned items.  But, I'm here to say, pre-owned doesn't necessarily mean pre-used nor does it mean taggered, smelly and torn.  I'm not asking you to go out and buy used clothing or even used furniture for people.  Sometimes you can find inspirational items; books, fine china, glassware, fabrics, antiques, etc.  You get the picture.

I've gone to thrift stores and found beautiful pre-owned NORITAKE or LENOX Fine China and used baskets.  What  do I do with them?  I create gift baskets.  I purchase several tasteful gently used baskets and as many cups, saucers, bowls etc. I can find.  Then I go find a box of INEXPENSIVE gourmet tea.  I take several of the packs of tea out, and gently place them in the cleaned cup.   Along with the tea, I might also purchase gourmet coffees, sweeteners, chocolates, mints, gourmet crackers and creamer.  I line my baskets with clean linens, decorative tissues (get that at the Dollar Tree), and/or fabric (silk, cotton, denim).  Then I organize my items in the basket (china, tea/coffee, chocolates, sweeteners  creamers, stirrers, napkins) in an appealing way.   I finish it off by tying a beautiful bow to the basket handle; which you can get at Wal-Mart in the fabric/sewing department.  For the coffee/tea connoisseur this makes an excellent gift!

Coupons are always a GREAT way to save!  Most of the time during the Christmas holiday you can find bargains directly at the store, online or in the sales paper.  You can also find coupons online at places like Upromise.com or Coupons.com.  Add those coupons to the bargains you've found and what you have there is instant SAVINGS!

I've been to flee markets, and honestly, all you're getting are over priced imitations.  Steer clear, you'll spend as much money there, if not more, than you would going to the retailer.

THE BIG YES... and something I try to encourage my children to do, it's the ol... steer clear of everyone until AFTER Christmas... then go out when everything is marked down 1/2 price and get them what you want them to have!  *HA*.  It's not insane... gift cards are great just for this reason too!  They can get twice as much after Christmas!  No kidding!

I can't stress enough, going out to take out a loan to buy Christmas for your children isn't smart business; NOR IS ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL.  Seems like our society has gotten into the habit of getting what they want, regardless of the consequences.  If you can't pay for it NOW, what makes you think going into debt is going to make things easier?  You will have to repay that money.   I suggest when you get your tax return, if you get one at all, start a 'Christmas Club Account' or a special occasions account.  AND, if you don't get a tax return, then start a special occasions account with what you do have.

Making gifts is always an excellent idea.  You can buy decorative tin boxes at Dollar Tree to place home baked cookies and candies in!  You can even buy inexpensive canning/preservative jars to put dry ingredients of a particular recipe in; decorate the jar and attach a recipe card with a ribbon or bow.  I can't sew a lick... I try, but I ain't no seamstress... but if you half way stitch you can make a decorative pillow, or stuffed animal.  HEY... they even have fabric glue... might want to look into that!

If there's a will to saving, a desire to do better in the finance department, then YOU will find a way.  Always think of reuse, and recycle.  I put all my preused Christmas bags, bows and boxes in a rubber tub type container (storage container) and store them with all my other Christmas decor IN THE ATTIC!  Instead of paper plates, forks and napkins I use the real stuff.

Kids are whack'n each other over the head with pillows... let me git now!  I hope you come back to read more!  My kids say I can be a little winded, so I'll try to keep 'em short, so as not to bore you!

Being thrifty is smart.  Buying within and living within your means is EVEN smarter.

Find Coupons HERE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth