Skip to main content

TEACH 'em to SHOOT!

I began writing this post the day before the shootings occurred in Newtown, Conneticutt.  I selected not to publish the post until I had the opportunity to review my content.  I didn't want to seem insensitive to anyone affected by the tragedy... even myself.   When I first heard about the incident, they had not yet released any information about the deceased.  I only knew there had been multiple deaths.  As the story unfolded, I watched in horror and disbelief.  Immediately calling my children in to the living room with me, I began crying and hurting for those mothers and fathers.  All I wanted to do was hold my own children near.

With that being said, I knew the first thing people would go after would be the guns.  This post wasn't really about gun politics, or gun control, it's about familiarizing my children with firearms so they become safer, better at hunting, or other target sports.  We aren't limited to guns, we also use bows, and encourage our children to learn and improve their archery skills as well.

 I'm going to tell my story, and I don't ask that anyone agree with me.  It's my life, it's a WAY of life, and I don't expect anyone living outside of myself, and others like me to like it, or even understand.  I support the second amendment.  As a home schooling mother, I've revisited history through teaching over and over again.  I understand the constitution as it is written, and have taught my children it's meaning from beginning to end.  I truly believe the intent of the second amendment is to preserve the people's ability to protect themselves from tyranny of the government.

To some, it may be difficult to fathom, but in early American History children were more responsible with firearms than MOST adults are today.  With the abundance of food sources we have in America, I guess understanding why individuals would hunt is hard for some folks.  Like my husband says, "I'm a man, it's a man thing, and you just wouldn't understand.  It fulfills a need.  It's something my family has done for years, and it's a part of me".  I think I understand, it's kinda like I have certain desires as a woman that my husband doesn't understand.  The desire to curl my hair, and have soft smooth skin... put on nice clothes and to try to look purdy some of the time.  But, I must say, when he brings home the first deer of the season, I am as elated for him, as he is for himself.

Presently, I'm beginning to wonder where all the REAL men have gone.  A lot of the one's I see are running around making excuses and aren't strong enough to stand by their convictions.  They sway with the wind... but instead of being strong like a tree... they flutter around like dandelions.  I can't believe we live in a time where men are more concerned with their appearances and wear more makeup than most women do.  What's happening in raising children these days?  Boys...  need to be taught to be men.

Ok... about our teach'n em to shoot...

We don't shoot to kill, unless we're going to eat it.   Ok, well... that's in MOST cases!  My husband and I have been teaching our children gun safety since they were old enough to hold one in their hands.  We reinforce; WE DO NOT POINT A GUN... EVEN AN UNLOADED ONE AT PEOPLE.  YOU DO NOT EAT PEOPLE, so don't point a gun at them.  We get them outside to practice shooting, and teach gun safety.  Of course, we use targets of all shapes and sizes; and of course those things we cannot eat *facetious*.

My 5 year old Daughter learning to shoot a 22 automatic
As my children get older, we encourage all three (boy and girls) to hunt, with a bow or gun.  We regularly take them out into the woods to scout for deer and other wildlife.  We watch for tracks, and encourage our children to figure out what made them.  We look at trees so we'll know which ones are providing food sources for the game we are hunting.  Do they grow nuts?  Do they grow fruit?  What kinda critter (wildlife) eats it?  We also look in low areas to see what types of foliage grows there, at the water sources, and ask ourselves the same questions.  We have even taught our children to recognize scant when they see it.  When hunting, it's not only necessary to understand the game you're hunting, but to also understand the other critters living in the area.  Knowing these things could indicate movement of wildlife, and help determine the BEST place to hunt.

My son preparing to target shoot
We started with my oldest child, at age three, allowing her to carry a BB Gun whenever we'd go into the woods.  We'd make sure she checked the safety, and to see if the gun was loaded.  We do a drill something like, "FIRST, is the safety on? Hear the BB's?".   We then directed her on how to carry the weapon (ALWAYS AS IF ITS LOADED!).

Believe me, the first time my children left the house carrying a loaded firearm, I was terrified.  Of course, knowing their father was no more than an inch away at all times was comforting, to say the least.

Before they leave the house I ALWAYS reinforce; it takes ONE STUPID MISTAKE... so PAY ATTENTION!  In lieu of the many accidental hunting deaths, I feel if the individual pulling the trigger had IDENTIFIED his/her target, these unfortunate, accidental shootings would NOT have happened.  In HUNTER SAFETY, that one RULE; IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET is reinforced over and over again.  Once you release that bullet, you can't get it back.

I believe most accidental shootings by children, at home, occur because of their curiosity.  Children hear you tell them how dangerous they can be, and to some, that's just an enticement   They want to understand and learn... so why not take curiosity out of the equation by teaching them the good and bad points of a firearm.  Teach them, and tell them the dangers of handling a firearm emphasizing it's NOT a toy; and shooting one is NOT a game!

It's kinda like PANDORA and that box of 'secrets'... or EVE with the 'forbidden' fruit.  As humans, we have a tendency to be enticed by the forbidden; children as well as adults.  Of course, I've expressed my beliefs ... and I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me.  This is just how my family does, and views GUNS.

My oldest Daughter at Centershot Archery Ministry
My husband wants our entire family to have a Consent to Carry Permit.  He says, "Guns do NOT kill people; they cannot load themselves, they cannot carry themselves, they cannot fire themselves.  GUNS do NOT have the MENTAL ability to rationalize OR THINK... Guns are NOT EVIL... the people who misuse them to kill people ARE EVIL."  I want to say;  We don't need GUN control... we need PEOPLE to learn self-control.  In the case of mental illness, understandably parents should use judgement when allowing children or family members to become familiar with and have access to a gun.  In my case, I'm raising my children whom are of sound mind and body to be responsible hunters and sportsman/women.  They don't own or play violent video games, and are NOT allowed to watch gang-banger type television shows or movies.... along with a bunch of other crap they show these days!  Of course we watch "Duck Dynasty"... duh!

I'll definitely have more on PEOPLE control in a later blog.  For now, I'm going back to spend time with my husband and children.  I enjoy the time I have with them, and am so thankful for my many blessings in life.

CHARTERS of FREEDOM


www.jmcremps.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth