Skip to main content

Ever Just Wondered What Would Happen...

Ever have an idea, ever had a thought and wondered, "What would happen if...".  Ever gone your whole life, and all of a sudden it hit you, you were at a "now or never' moment.

I often feel I'm at a stage in my life.  If you're nearing your mid forties you may be able to relate.  It's that stage in life where you're not quite ready to start playing bingo, not QUITE yet.  The stage before the bingo stage.

I look back over the years, and think, I've had some pretty good years.  Although my parents divorced when I was pretty young, I did have the opportunity to experience to different ends of the spectrum.  The times with my mother living in an apartment building in the city was quite interesting, yet the times spent running up and down a red dirt road in front of my daddy's home proved to be more than interesting... it proved to be downright educational.

I got my first skinned knee on that dirt road while I was in my younger stages of life.  I learned how to ride a bicycle there, a go-cart and a dirt bike.  I also learned what it was like to have family so close you could shake a stick at 'em.  Whatever that means... something my daddy said from time to time.  I also learned what it was like to live in a home on an dirt road and to have to constantly dust and sweep the dirt away.

Something about living on a dirt road brought me peace of mind.  Not sure if it was the smells of fresh country air, knowing I was surrounded by family and loved ones... or the beautiful forest of trees that blanketed my daddy's back yard.  On rainy days I'd run up and down that dirt road, walk up the ditches and  splatter in the mud until I was covered in it.  My girl cousins and I would sneak off down to the creek, without anyone knowing, to take a little swim.  On hot summer days, all of us, boys and girls, would gather our poles and inner tubes,  walk our way through the woods to a neighbor's pond.  Our folks would find us there before supper-time, lying on the banks, or dock... basking up the sun's warm rays.

I didn't realize then, how much the berry picking, chigger scratching, splinters and bee stings would mean. At the time, my granny would get out the old fashion salves, and old fashioned remedies to fix and mend my wounds.  Her shaking wrinkled hands would lovingly pull out splinters, soothe the itches and stings while calmly putting me together and fix'n me up.  Her warm embrace would quiet my tears as she wiped them away from my dirt stained face.  How I long for the evenings on the front porch in her rocking chair, sitting on her lap, as she lulled me to sleep.  

I remember those wonderful times spent chasing fireflies down through the trees, putting them in jars and watching them flutter around.  Swinging from tree limbs and listening to my granny preach on how we'd fall out if we climbed too high.  Sometimes, now in my later stage, the before bingo stage, I feel I have climbed so high I often forget to look down, or back... and remember those simpler times.

I held my very first boyfriend's hand, and got my first kiss while walking through the woods on that old dirt road.  I learned about life... I learned what it meant to love and I learned how to be human...

You ever just wonder what would happen if you did something outrageous.  Stepped outside your comfort zone and tried to grasp some part of your youth again by doing something unexpected?  You ever get an idea, and wonder what would REALLY happen if that IDEA became a reality?  Sometimes you need a little push. And sometimes you just need the reality of times gone by and the FACT you're mortal to sink in...

Ever just wonder what would happen if you took that leap of faith and made your dreams become a reality or woke up and realized if you don't, those dreams may never come to be... Ever just... wonder...????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth