Skip to main content

Learning As We Go

WHEW!  Been so busy doing things I probably shouldn't be doing, I haven't taken the time to post to my blog in a while.  Although, I have had ideas for posts, taking the time to make the entry has been all but painstaking!  I definitely need some time management lessons... or maybe a good ol' dose of prioritization!

The past few weeks have been eventful, and busy... to say the least!  We've done our NRA/DNR Youth Hunter Education Challenge.  I was privileged to make an entry to the NRAblog!  What a wonderful opportunity to look into what the NRA is doing for our communities and young people!  It was a blast getting to know everyone, especially Brad Ward who works with the NRA.  He was such a huge help!

In a few days, I hope to enlighten everyone on the YHEC, and the efforts put forth by the Friends of the NRA group to make the YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) possible.  For now, I'd like to make a contribution about our past weekend and homeschooling educational field trip!
FoxFire Fungi
I'm not too sure how many of you are familiar with Foxfire.  Foxfire, also known as "fairy fire", is a fungus that emits light (bioluminescent) present in decaying wood.  An oxidizing agent called luciferase is the cause for Foxfire's bluish green glow.  Luciferase, an enzyme present in the cells of foxfire catalyze the oxidation of luciferin and ATP producing light.  Although the purpose for this phenomena is unknown, it is believed the light is meant to attract insects to spread to it's spores or to act as a warning to hungry animals.  Enough of the science lesson... Foxfire is found in the mountainous regions of Northeast Georgia.

In 1966, Rabun County High School located in the mountains of Northeast Georgia wanted to engage their students and increase their interest in learning by beginning a magazine.  This magazine is known as The Foxfire Magazine.   This magazine which began as a simple idea has become a success story unlike any other.  The Foxfire Magazine has celebrated 40 years of distribution, and is still in production at the Rabun County High School today.

Over a period of time, the royalties from The Foxfire Book series led to purchase of land, log structures and construction of the Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center.  This area serves as a museum of life in Southern Appalachia, featuring artifacts, original homes which were dismantled and rebuilt on the purchased property. They also have a wagon which was actually used during the relocation of the Cherokee Indians, known as Trail of Tears.

I think what interested me most... was the fact someone took time to believe in these students enough to encourage them to attempt such a feat.  Young people need motivation these days... and what better way to do it, than give them a challenge and allow them to use their skills, natural inclination to ask questions and work.

The museum offered heritage days, and my family and I went to learn more about our heritage, and history of the Appalachian Mountains.  We went with open minds, and willingness to learn and take in all the events and activities of the day.  There were volunteers cooking from fireplaces as they did in earlier years, blacksmith demonstrations, walking stick making, yarn dying, how to make corn husk dolls, instrument making and music. My son got to try his hand at washing clothes the old fashioned way!  Learning about how to make soap, and pottery was extra special. In addition to everything else, the children were taught how to crack a whip, walk on stilts and about the games and toys used during the period.  There was also a morning church and worship service for families to partake.  Last but not least, the children were again allowed to try their hand at archery.  The day, by far, met my expectations... and was thoroughly enjoyed by all!
Learning how to play "Hide the Hankie"

Old Grinding stone at the gristmill!

Anyone want a whack?  Let's clean some clothes!

Welcome to dinner!  We're having Venison, Roasted Corn and Venison!

Very inviting table in a very small cabin!

Wash up first!

Handy making canes!

Ready to boil a hawg!
"Foxfire" staring Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn, and John Denver is a movie about a woman named Annie Nations and her husband living in the Blueridge Mountains.  Foxfire Museum has a cabin dedicated to the memory of the movie and the actors who starred in it.

Should you ever be in Rabun County, Georgia, I implore you to visit the FoxFire Museum and Heritage Center!
Making Banjos and Dulcimers by hand
Beautiful Handcrafted Banjos

Blacksmith Shop!


This is how you do it!  Just don't wear shorts!
This little toy actually strengthens your cow milking muscles!  ha ha!

Looks easy... right?


Handcrafted Corn Husk dolls

Hand Crafted Brush Brooms

UGLY Pot!

Busy Making Soap... Lye stinks!
Last But NOT least... Primitive Bow... :D  Long Bow Use

Hope you enjoyed reading... and learning about Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center.  To learn more visit; Foxfire Museum.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth