Skip to main content

20 Ways to SAVE on GROCERIES!

If there's one thing I know about, it's buying groceries and cooking!  Grocery or food purchases take a huge chunk out of your budget!  As a homeschooling mother, childcare provider, and wife, I find myself at the stove cooking more than anywhere else throughout the day.  Everyone should consider the amount they are spending on food items; dining out, eating at home, vending machine snacks.  I CHALLENGE you to write down each and EVERY time you spend money on food to get a clearer picture of how much you are really spending.  YOU will be amazed!

From that early morning coffee, drink and vending machine snacks... I can show you ways to save on your food and grocery bill.
1.  Buying snacks, drinks and food items prior to leaving the house can save a bundle.  Snack and drink machines normally charge double what you pay at the grocery store or food warehouse.  If you have a refrigerator at work, I suggest buying a stock of drinks to store there.  Putting your name on these items will detour people who take without asking, using the excuse, "I thought it was mine."  If that doesn't work, bring a 6-pack size, soft cooler to work to store drinks and other items you want to keep cool.  Use a re-freezable ice-pack which you can store in the freezer each night, saving $$ on ice.  Find a drawer w/ a lock to store dried snack food items and chips.

2.  Plan in advance.  If you are planning a trip, take snacks you purchased ahead of time with you.  We always carry a soft cooler w/ an ice-pack and store fruit, drinks, and sometimes things like yogurt and string cheese.  You decide.  Sometimes we carry sandwich supplies, chips, protein bars and other more filling food items.  If you're planning on being gone several hours, and are traveling with a family; wife and kids, you can save by planning in advance.

3.  Keep foods fresher longer by securing bagged goods (both perishable and nonperishable) with clothes pins.   Also keep freezer bags for storing bulk left-over foods such as chili, soups, and casseroles.  I do this a lot, and reuse them for my family childcare business.

4.  Avoid grocery shopping when you are hungry to prevent impulse purchases.

5.  Compare prices of SIMILAR items to get the best deal.  Buy generic instead of brand names.

6.  Buy vegetables and fruits that are in season.  Or plant a garden. You can save bundles on tomatoes, peppers, greens, beans, and  fruits that you GROW at home!

7.  Double check your receipt before leaving the store... watch price scanner to prevent being overcharged for sale items.

8.  Buy cheese from the dairy case instead of at deli for better price.

9.  Buy less expensive white eggs instead of brown eggs.  They really don't taste THAT much different.

10.  CREATE a grocery list or "PLAN OF ACTION" and ONLY buy what's on your list, or what you planned to buy.

11.  Consider buying staple food items such as flour, sugar, pasta, etc., in bulk and splitting them AND the cost with a friend.

12.  AVOID FROZEN convenience foods.  They're costly and most of them are loaded with artificial fillers, nitrates and other can't pronounce things... Just say'n.

13.  Shop out of the DISCOUNT bin and pay less for slightly damaged packages, or food items that are at the expiration date.  We all know expiration dates are merely a recommended good by date, and most foods last much longer.

14.  Learn to get the MOST out of your meat purchases.  Learn to quarter a chicken.  If you hunt, or fish... you can learn to process your own meats to save $$$.  Hunting, and fishing can save bundles on your meat bill!  You hunters and fishers know it.

15.  Go thru the pantry while making your grocery list or plan of action.  If you already have a particular food item, you may not need to purchase it again.

16.  Indicate items on your list that you have coupons for.


17.  Plan your menu based on "WHAT IS ON SALE"  And if they do not have a particular item in stock, that is ON SALE... ask for a raincheck.

18.  STOCK UP when you find GREAT deals.  (Buy at least a months worth if the deal is GREAT enough, and it's a food or grocery item you use a LOT of)

19.  Buy nonfood items at large discount warehouses (detergent, cleaners, soap, etc.) or retailers like Wal-Mart or Target.  These things are OFF THE HOOK at the grocery store... so don't bother buying it there, even if you HAVE a coupon.

20.  ECOUPON - if you shop at places like Ingles, Bi-Lo, Costco, CVS and they offer discount cards, I suggest you take these.  Go to sites like UPROMISE to load your cards with ecoupons.  You can also visit the online link for the particular store and print, or store ecoupons also.  And places like UPROMISE will pay you back for using their coupons.  

GREAT!  Now that I've helped you save... check out these FREEBIES!

                                                                 


For more tips, look for 600 Simple Tips to Save You Money on Amazon, or at your local bookstore!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth