Skip to main content

Getting Out of Debt

Upon deciding to stay home to homeschool my children, my husband and I had to a LOT of soul searching.  Without the income I had received in the past, we would definitely need to do without frivolous items... or stuff... which didn't really add value to our lives.  By doing this, by creating REAL life experiences, instead of spending money on THINGS we did NOT need, we realized emotional, and spiritual fulfillment.

If I could tell YOU one thing... and PRAY for you to listen... (other than believe in God, family and all that... LOL!)... I would tell you to PLEASE live within your means, and CREATE REAL experiences with your significant other, and children... family.

Get OUT of Debt - a few tips

1.  Plan a Budget; Monthly, Weekly, Daily  AND STICK to it!

2.  Left over monies after planning your budget should be divided in 1/2.  Put the 1st half in an emergency fund and apply the 2nd half to credit card debt, signature loans or other small loans.  START applying to the debt, loan, or credit card which has the highest MONTHLY interest rate.  Pay that debt until the balance is ZERO.  Once you've paid the first debt, systematically work your way through the rest of your credit cards or debt until you have paid it them ALL off.

3.  Keeping a list of your debt, and checking it off or marking it out as you pay it off creates a sense of accomplishment, gratification and will MOTIVATE you.  It will give you a feeling of moving in a positive direction, and provide HOPE for your future; HOPE that you will eventually be DEBT FREE.  It's like being on a scale and seeing your weight go down... it motivates you to keep going.  If you got on a scale and kept working towards a specific goal and the scales weren't moving... eventually you'd give up.  This list acts as a reminder, to you, that you are moving in the RIGHT direction.

4.  Apply any "found" money to credit card debt or signature loans.

5.  NO MATTER WHAT - if you cannot afford it, DO NOT BUY IT.  AND... under NO circumstances do you charge ANYTHING!!!  *smile*  Yes, I'm talking to YOU!  The CYCLE must end!

6.  I do not advise a home equity loan - but if you are in so deep you could lose everything, and interest rates are low, it might be a consideration.  If you decide on a home equity loan - DO NOT let these extra monies make you feel RICHER than you really are.  A home equity loan is a band aid, not a cure for your debt.  The debt is still there, it's just consolidated.  Don't start borrowing again, simply because you paid off your individual debt items, such as credit cards, small and signature loans.

7.  If you have a debit card, you may not need a major credit card.  If you have monies in the bank, you can almost always use your debit card for making reservations, and for paying items online.  If you don't have money in the bank and are wanting to make vacation reservations on your credit card... I say; NOT SMART MONEY MANAGEMENT.  Wait until you can pay cash for that vacation, look for special rates, and/or go at a more affordable time.

8.  Once your credit card is paid in full - cut it up and immediately request from the bankcard company that they close your account.  Also request that the bankcard company reports your closing the account to the credit bureau so it doesn't appear you have more credit than you actually do.

9.  Consider using some - not all- of your savings to pay off credit cards that have low balances - but keep your EMERGENCY fund intact.  Why do this?  The logic in switching loyalties; you are earning only 3% in savings and eating up that interest by paying 18% on credit card debt.

10.  Spending money you do not have leads to debt overload.  Consider the economy before making big purchases, and the future of your employment.  You could lose your job, or become injured in an accident.  If you are living right at your means, or beyond your means... losing your job could set you up for losing everything else too.   Do not get yourself so deep in debt that any sudden, even small change in income could push you over the financial 'cliff'.

11.  If you're already so deep in debt, don't ignore your debtors.  The problem isn't going to vanish over night.  Just because they aren't calling you NOW... doesn't mean the unpaid bill won't resurface through a collection agency three years down the road.  Contact your creditors; explain your financial problems and commit to a payment schedule YOU can live with.  If you need help, inform your creditors.  Let them help you, don't ignore it... again, the problems not going to just go away.

Finally... consider seeking a nonprofit counseling service or low-cost assistance planning service to get debt repaid.  You can also contact The National Foundation for Consumer Credit  or by calling 800-388-2227 .

Hopefully these tips will help get you on the right start to living debt free.  ONE MAJOR thing to remember is to LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.  If you or your family don't need it ... I MEAN REALLY NEED IT TO SURVIVE... then DO NOT BUY IT!!!  The cycle HAS to stop!  Best wishes as always!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Future Outdoor Sportsmen and Sportswomen

What a weekend!  First we got snow, then we had the opportunity to go to our local Wildlife Management Area to look for sheds, rubs, tracks, scat, skeletal remains... or anything else we could find out there in the woods.  My husband and I enjoy getting the kids outdoors so they can experience nature first hand.  Our initial intent was to look for sheds.  Although we didn't find any sheds, we enjoyed what we did find, and the time we spent together, as a family.   Just as we entered the woods, I told my children to watch for dogs.  People are constantly dropping dogs off in these woods.  They toss pups they've killed, and often times dump them in nearby streams and watersheds.  I've even discovered whole litters of starving pups with an empty bag of torn open dog feed that had been left with them.  It's really sad.  It's also dangerous to people entering the WMA because the dogs are starving, wild, and afraid. Dog remains... dog still had collar on when i

About Getting the Children Outdoors

With the encouragement of several followers, I had my sites set on creating an outdoor curriculum which could be taught in the classroom, public or homeschooled.  Not being one who likes to reinvent the wheel, I began to do some research and came across Acorn Naturalists   which provides educational books and tools for trail, as well as the classroom. After ordering their catalog, I realized the extent of their product line was way more than I could create on my own.   Acorn Naturalists has activities, teaching tools, and kits that cover a variety of natural and outdoor activities and lessons for all ages; particularly preschool through middle grades. For those outdoor enthusiast, I implore you take an interest in involving young children in your business or hobby.  I had written an earlier post in my blog called Changing the Looks of Things about inviting people into what you do to give them a better perception.  I'm not a writer.  Sometimes I even wonder if folks actua

A Home School Review! Time4Learning

I've been homeschooling my children for five years, all three of them.  I also school/tutor another child not my own.  We keep a pretty hectic pace at my home, and we try to stay at the forefront of education.  I try to stay on top of the best educational materials, and get the most for my money.  Regardless of what I do, what works for one child, doesn't necessarily work for the others.  In my five years of homeschooling, regardless of the programs, tools or curricula I use, I've found every child has their own learning style, and just because a particular curricula works for my family, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. My oldest child, a female, is self directed.  I've never had a problem getting her to start or complete a task. The boys, and my youngest child are far less motivated.  I have tried every curriculum in the book to keep them engaged, literally; Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, AOP, Bob Jones to name a few.  Although I love these oth